Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Aviator's Wife

I recently finished reading Melanie Benjamin's The Aviator's Wife  The book, while a novel, is based on Anne and Charles Lindbergh's lives.  While reading, I was thinking about having read The Paris Wife and Loving Frank.  These are also books based on real people but are fictional.  The later being my favorite of the three.

The Aviator's Wife tells the story from Anne Morrow Lindbergh's point of view.  The book begins with them meeting for the first time and ends when Charles dies.  What comes in between is quite interesting.  These people led a very public life, not by choice, but public nonetheless.  The similarities to their challenges with the media and paparazzi, rivals today's stars.  When their firstborn is kidnapped, their lives lives and their relationship changes forever.

While I liked this book, I couldn't stand Charles Lindbergh!  I thought he was a selfish man and really wonder how much is actually fiction and how much is true.  I now find myself wanting to research more about both Charles and Anne.


No comments:

Post a Comment