Friday, July 13, 2012

The Chaperone

I just finished reading Laura Moriarty's The Chaperone.  This book has been receiving a lot of press and since I have liked her previous books, I thought I'd read this one.  I wasn't disappointed, in fact, I liked this one more than any of her others.

The Chaperone follows Cora as she goes to New York with her charge, Louise.  The story goes back and forth to Cora's childhood and before she married Alan and had her twin boys, now grown.  The book spans from the 1880's to the 1970's.  This is a coming of age story about a 36 year old woman.  I promise it is not quite what you'd expect.

In a book club?  This would be a great choice.  There is much to talk about after reading this.  Not only are there great characters to discuss, but the difference in times compared to now and the themes brought up in the story such as prohibition, birth control, homosexuality and unwed mothers, to name a few, will lead to a great conversation.

I hope you enjoy The Chaperone as much as I did.



P.S.  This book is based on facts.  There was a real Louise and a real Cora.  This book focuses on Cora and her life.  While this is a fictionalized account, it is based on a real person.  Think in terms of The Paris Wife and Loving Frank, both great books as well.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to add this to my list of books to read. Thanks...love the blog.

    ReplyDelete